ABRA: Ten Boat Field For This Week's San Diego Unlimited Race
SAN DIEGO, Cali. - A fleet of 10 boats will be ready to qualify this Friday morning on Mission Bay for this weekend's San Diego Thunderboat Regatta ABRA Unlimited Hydroplane season finale scheduled to run September 14 thru 16.
Dave Villwock (Auburn, Wash.) will be looking to grab his fifth win of the season and take the home the coveted national high point team championship in the Miss Elam Plus. Villwock has won nine national high point team championships and eight national high point drivers titles.
Along with Villwock, defending San Diego champion Jean Theoret (Ville de Lery, Que.) and 2006 national high point driver champion Steve David (Lighthouse, Fla.) will be ready to give Villwock all he can handle on the Bill Muncey Memorial Course.
David, driver of the Oh Boy! Oberto sponsored hydroplane, stopped Villwock from making a clean sweep of the 2007 ABRA series by virtue of his big win in Seattle.
Theoret on the other hand is trying to get his Miss Beacon Plumbing boat back into the winner's circle this year. Theoret's last win came one year ago here in San Diego in one of the most exciting hydroplane races of all time.
Mike Allen (New Orleans, La.), the defending national team high point champion, is also looking to get back into the swing of things. Allen is returning to drive the U-1 FormulaBoats.com boat for the first time since his spectacular end over end flip in the Gold Cup final heat in mid-July. Jimmy Shane (Havre de Grace, Md.) had been piloting the U-5 in Allen's absence.
There will qualifying all day Friday and early Saturday with the first boats getting into the water at 9 a.m. September 14. Qualifying and racing take place on Saturday with two elimination heats with the final day of racing on Sunday having two set of elimination heats plus the winner take all final at 4:45 p.m. PDT.
For ticket information call 619.225.9160 or go to http://www.thunderboatregatta.com/.
2007 San Diego Boat Roster
Updated September 9th 8pm PT
- U-1 Formulaboats.com Mike Allen, New Orleans, LA
- U-5 Formulaboats.com Jeff Bernard, Gig Harbor, WA
- U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto - Miss Madison Steve David, Lighthouse Point, FL
- U-10 Miss Ahern Rentals David Bryant, Mesa, AZ
- U-13 Spirit of Detroit J. Michel Kelly, Puyallup, WA
- U-16 Miss Elam Plus Dave Villwock, Auburn, WA
- U-21 Miss All Access Presented by Southwest HiReach Brian Perkins, Black Diamond, WA
- U-25 Superior Racing Dr. Kenneth Muscatel, Seattle, WA
- U-37 Miss Beacon Plumbing Jean Theoret, Ville de Lery, QB
- U-48 Miss Lakeridge Paving David Williams, Kent, WA