Options To File Tax Extensions and Payment Plans - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Options To File Tax Extensions and Payment Plans

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash.-- The deadline to file your taxes is just two days away, but you've still got options.

Form 4868, is the application for automatic extension of time to file taxes. Anyone is eligible to fill out the form. You can mail it or file it online.

The IRS says they'll extend the deadline for six months, but no longer than that. Tax experts say even if you lost your job in the last year, you must file otherwise the penalty charges could add up.

"When you're unemployed I know it's like 'I can't afford that, I need that money', but you have to stop and realize, so you need that little bit of money each week, or do you want to end up owing the government at the end of the year," said Nancy Conter, Assistant Manager at Liberty Tax Services.

If you owe any money this year and can't pay the full amount don't panic. There's some help out there.

The IRS web site is the best place to go. You can set up installments or online payments. There are some extra fees however to set all this up.

Head to the On-Air Links Section of this web site for a link to the IRS web site, with more information.