Firefighters Say Forgotten Food Leads to House Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Firefighters Say Forgotten Food Leads to House Fire

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA--A Yakima home catches fire after firefighters said the family forgot about food on the stove.

It happened just after 10 a.m. Sunday on Poplar Street.

Fortunately, nobody was inside the house when it caught fire.

Firefighters said the home looks like a garage that's been added on to.  They say buildings like this are more likely to catch fire.

"When you've added on several times it kind of changes the electrical wiring to the structure, access to the home changes," Rocky Willette, Yakima Fire Department, said.

Firefighters believe only two people lived in the home.

The fire gutted the kitchen and Willette estimated it did about $25,000 worth of damage.

The Red Cross is helping the displaced couple.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/