UMATILLA, Ore.-- The Vice Principal at Umatilla High School says the minor fire started out in one of the science labs on the second floor.
An unexpected chemical reaction caused a flash and soon filled the room with white smoke. The smoke then set off fire alarms and the sprinkler system. What's left behind is a lot of water damage in several rooms upstairs and on the first floor.
Four students got minor chemical burns on their arms and hands. No one needed medical assistance and they were all released to their parents.
School administrators say they'll try to get back to classes as soon as possible since the school year is almost done.
"We have seniors that only have about six days left and so I think a lot of teachers had projects and finals due this week, it's always an inconvenience but again we're lucky that it was just what it was," said Scott DePew, Vice Principal at UHS.
The Vice Principal says the insurance company was already there Thursday morning looking at some of the damage.
Staff from 'O-So Kleen' a local cleaning company will be there through the weekend. They hope to have at least one of the three science labs up and running by Monday.