Firefighters Say Cigarettes Start Apartment Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Firefighters Say Cigarettes Start Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA--Firefighters say burning cigarettes started a fire at a Yakima apartment building.

Crews responded to the Cascade Apartments on the corner of A Street and 1st Street around midnight.

Police had to close off part of the road.

Firefighters had to rip up parts of the second and third floors of the building to put the blaze out.

One fireman says the fire could have been worse.
"If we had not done the damage that we did, tearing up the floor and pulling the ceiling from the second floor the fire could have run the entire length from north to south of the building," Battalion Chief Mitch Cole said.

Firefighters initially thought the fire trapped someone in the room, but found it was empty.

No one was injured. Cole estimated damages at $15,000.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/