Kennewick Duplex Fire Leaves Man With Smoke Inhalation Injuries - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Kennewick Duplex Fire Leaves Man With Smoke Inhalation Injuries

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash.-- A fire at a duplex in Kennewick sent a man to the hospital with smoke inhalation injuries.

It happened on West 6th Ave. just before 6 p.m. Kennewick firefighters say they think it started in the garage and moved to the attic.

The man who rents the duplex says he was working on his motorcycle when it caught on fire. He tells us he tried putting the fire out but couldn't contain it.

Firefighters say after the fire started the man went back inside the duplex to get his pets out. He was able to get his dog out. But firefighters say it was a decision that could've killed him.

"We could very well have died inside of there, he collapsed outside of smoke inhalation that pulled our crews off the fire to go take care of him, and risked his life for a dog," said Charles Spencer, Kennewick Fire Battalion Chief.

Firefighters say they know pets are part of people's families but advice against going back inside a burning home to save them.

The man who lives at the duplex says he has renter's insurance. Firefighters say when he went back inside the duplex, they think he opened some windows.

They also say people shouldn't do this, because it can cause the fire to burn faster.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/