Port a Potties Burst into Flames Spreading to Nearby Trees and Brush in Union Gap
YAKIMA, Wash.- Port-a-potties burst into flames at Valley Septic in Union Gap Friday afternoon. The flames ignited nearby trees and brush. A large smoke cloud and flames could be seen from miles away.
Located off Ahtanum Road, the fire held up traffic in multiple directions. This Valley Septic location is used to store and repair port-a-potties. Firefighters say employees were cutting some of the plastic port-a-potties when the plastic caught on fire.
"Apparently it ignited some of the cottonwood that had been gathered up from the wood and was being caught and by what he told us it just went like gas," said Brian Line from the Union Gap Fire Department.
Firefighters say the owner has contacted his insurance company and is trying to figure out the total amount of damages.