WAPATO--A Wapato family is homeless Wednesday after a grass fire gets out of control.
Firefighters got the call to South Street around 12:15 p.m. about a grass fire that had spread to a car. From there the blaze made its way to the family's house.
Windy conditions made it tough for firefighters to put the blaze out. Crews did manage to get it under control, but not before it burned up the garage and part of the house.
They had a lot of firefighters on hand; 14 vehicles and 22 people from six stations.
Capt. Joel Byam from Yakima County Fire District 5 told KNDO they need as much help as they can get during the hot summer months.
"[We need more people] to get people rehab and make sure none of our guys get hurt due to exhaustion," Byam said. "The hotter the summer gets, the more structure fires and the worse it's going to get for us."
Byam said it is harder to fight these fires during the day, because most of their volunteer staff isn't available.
He estimated the damages at $100,000.
Fortunately, the homeowner does have insurance.
Only one person was home when the fire broke out. She was not injured.