Unsafe heater leads to fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Unsafe heater leads to fire

Posted: Updated:

UNION GAP--The cold weather has many turning on the heaters and grabbing extra blankets, but firefighters want you to be safe, not just warm.

 A motor home on the 1800 of South 17th Street in Union Gap burnt down Saturday night.

Investigators say a kerosene heater started the blaze.

Firefighters say those shouldn't be used indoors.  They can lead to high carbon monoxide levels or a fire like Saturday's.

"Stick with [the heating system] that's in your home," Capt. Tim Whitehurst, Union Gap Fire Department, said.  "Or get an electric heater that has fall protection.  If they get tipped over, they shut off.  Make sure that you have plenty of space between your heater and your combustibles."

During the investigation police also discovered the motor home was stolen from a local car dealership.

No arrests have been made at this point.

The motor home was totally destroyed.

Damages are estimated at $5,000.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/