Unattended food leads to fire, close call - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Unattended food leads to fire, close call

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA--A close call for one Yakima family, as firefighters had to battle a kitchen fire on the 3200 block of Carol Avenue.

Crews put the blaze out quickly, but not before it spread through the kitchen and into the attic.

Investigators say food left on the stove started the fire.  They say this serves as a good reminder to others:  if you're cooking food, don't forget about it.

"Food fire like that with a wood cabinet around it, five to ten minutes left unattended and you can have a kitchen fully [engulfed in flames]," acting Battalion Chief Joe Riel, Yakima Fire Department, said.

Riel said YFD responds to a cooking fire at least once a month.

No one was hurt in this fire, but flames did do about $10,000 worth of damage.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/