Two Yakima fires could have been prevented - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Two Yakima fires could have been prevented

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA--Yakima firefighters respond to two fires overnight, and both could have been prevented.

First, crews were at an apartment fire on the 1200 block of Terrace Street shortly after 8:15 p.m. Friday.

Firefighters think a lit cigarette caused the fire.

A few blocks away on 16th Avenue, a woman fell asleep with food on the stove, starting a fire that did about $45,000 damage.

Each fire could have been avoided.

"People can do things to protect themselves using smoke detectors," Battalion Chief Mitch Cole, Yakima Fire Department, said.  "Or using practices like staying in the kitchen while they are cooking and using ashtrays while smoking."

A Yakima man was taken to Harborview Medical Center Saturday morning after inhaling too much smoke at the fire on Terrace Street.  His condition is not known.

Crews also rescued a dog from the house fire on 16th Avenue.  No one was injured there.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/