A gasoline spill leads to an explosion in a garage - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

A gasoline spill leads to an explosion in a garage

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash.- A gasoline spill leads to an explosion in a garage Friday morning then spreads to a Yakima home. 

The fire started around 10:30 a.m. on South 37th Avenue near Nob Hill Avenue. The homeowner was working on his car near his garage. That is where the gas spilled. Flames immediately ignited, creating large clouds of smoke.

Flames started in the garage then spread to the back of the house, totaling $150,000 in damages.

Neighbors stood around watching as firefighters put out flames. Many say it was alarming. 

"It would been more scarier if firefighters weren't the ones there putting it out then, who knows what could have happened," said Kathy Rodriguez, a neighbor.

Firefighters say the garage was a complete loss. The back of the home was burned by flames. The roof and some of the exterior of the house were also damaged.

Firefighters want to remind homeowners to be cautious when using space heaters. 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/