House fire catches resident by surprise - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

House fire catches resident by surprise

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA--A Yakima family got a scare when a fire started in the wall of their house Saturday afternoon.

Firefighters say the wiring in the living room of a home on the 1500 block of South 16th Street caught fire around 1:00 p.m. Saturday.

Crews say the wiring was old.  They're not sure if it went bad or was just overburdened.

The fire caught resident Lorraine Padilla by surprise.

"I was taking a shower and they told me that the house was smoking," Padilla said.  "We all ran outside."

Fortunately everyone got out safely.  The residents plan to stay with family tonight.

Firefighters contained the flames to the attic space.  Damages are estimated at $6,500.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/