Cocoa mulch could be dangerous to your dog - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Cocoa mulch could be dangerous to your dog

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash.--  A warning for pet owners- if you're getting ready to fertilize your lawn this spring, a garden product could be dangerous to your dog.

E-mails are circulating about the possible dangers of cocoa mulch for your pets.  The e-mails claim dogs have died after eating the mulch containing a large amount of cocoa shells.

KNDU checked it out with snopes.com and the ASPCA. Both say the e-mail is mostly true.  Veterinarians say cocoa mulch is dangerous because it contains the chemical theobromine; the same chemical that makes chocolate so dangerous for dogs.  If a dog were to eat some of the chemical, it could become sick: vomiting, diarrhea, even seizures. 

They say the best advice is not to use the product in your landscaping or make sure you can supervise your dog at all times.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/