UNION GAP--A heroic effort. A house fire in Union Gap ends with firefighters rescuing three people from a burning building.
Captain Tim Whitehurst said it was so smokey in the house that they could barely even see each other, but they managed to find the people living there and get them out in time.
Crews were called to the 2200 block of First Avenue just after 6:00 a.m. Saturday. They found flames in the back of this duplex along with heavy smoke. Captain Tim Whitehurst said there was so much smoke in the house that firefighters could barely even see each other.
But, crews managed to find the three people inside and lead them to safety.
This all happened within ten minutes of the initial first aid call. That quick response time may have saved lives.
"That's extremely important," Whitehurst, who led crews into the home, said. "Fire doubles in size every minute. If this [fire] would have been a couple more minutes they may not have made it out."
Whitehurst said the smoke alarms were working, but they didn't wake the occupants up.
Investigators say the blaze started on the outside of the building, then spread to the attic.
They're not sure how it started, but do not suspect foul play.
Crews also managed to save a dog from inside the house.