VFW fire caused by a rat - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

VFW fire caused by a rat

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA--A rat chewing on an electrical wire started the fire at Yakima's Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 397.

Investigators from the Yakima Fire Department determined Friday that a rat chewed through a cord connected to a juke box, setting the rat on fire.  The rat ran to its nest, which was filled with combustible material.  A private investigator hired by the VFW's insurance company support the findings.

The fire started shortly before 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, closing Fifth and Walnut Avenues for several hours.  Firefighters saved the building but not without heavy damage.  Nearly all of the antique war memorabilia, some dating back to World Wars I and II, was destroyed.

Damages are estimated to be more than one million dollars.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/