Garage in Kennewick catches fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Garage in Kennewick catches fire

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash. -- A garage in Kennewick caught fire Wednesday afternoon, and nearly destroyed a house as well.

Firefighters say the garage of a house on the 2000 block of Grand Ronde Ave. went up in flames just after 12:00 PM Wednesday.

Crews say the garage was completely destroyed but most of the home is okay thanks to a fast acting neighbor.

Nick Collins, explains, "I knocked on the doors, made sure everyone was safe and basically went around telling everyone to move their cars, there's a fire. As soon as we called the cops, they were here in 4 to 5 minutes and they put it out."

Chief Neil Hines with the Kennewick Fire Department said, "It's got a retrofit metal roof on top of the old shingles and what happened was, some of the fire got through in between the metal roof and the old roof and it was burning through there."

Firefighters say a lit cigarette may have started the fire but they are still investigating. No one inside the house was injured but one firefighter had to be taken to the hospital for a minor heat related illness. The homeowner says one of his dogs is missing.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/