Airport project continues next week - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Airport project continues next week

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash. -- Beginning next week, there will be constant humming noise coming from the Yakima Airport on Washington Avenue.

Airport leaders say crews will be grooving the 9/27 Runway, from October 6 through October 11, and will be working 24 hours a day. The machines they'll be using are very loud.

Next week's work is part of the $2.5 million resurfacing runway project. The goal of the project is to replace the old asphalt, which leaders say will make the runway safer and easier to maintain.

Leaders say 95 percent of the project is funded by the Federal Aviation Administration. The airport will be responsible for the remaining 5 percent, which they say will be paid for through matching funds.

Work on the project is expected to be completed by the end of October.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/