KNDU Top StoriesPosted: Updated:
ELLENSBURG, Wash. -- The Central Washington University campus police chief says students hospitalized after a Roslyn house party on October 8th were not given drugs or alcohol against their will. Toxicology reports confirmed no date-rape drugs were given to the nine sickened students. Officials do, however, say those hospitalized consumed the caffeinated malt liquor drink, "Four Loko". The University announced at a news conference Monday that blood-alcohol content ranged from .12% to .35%.
The University President, Dr, James Gaudino, has banned alcoholic energy drinks on campus pending a review of student education procedures. State Attorney General Rob McKenna has called for a national ban on beverages like Four Loko. The FDA is looking into the safety of the drinks. About 50 students attended the house party. No criminal charges will be filed.
Four Loko is made by Phusion Projects Inc., of Chicago. It comes in several varieties, including fruit punch and blue raspberry. 23 intoxicated students were hospitalized over the span of a few weeks last month at northern New Jersey's Ramapo College after drinking Four Loko.
KENNEWICK, Wash. -- A 33 year old Kennewick woman is hospitalized after a driver in a dark colored, small SUV hit her in the 4600 block of S. Garfield St. in Kennewick. The accident happened Sunday around 1:30 AM. Aimee Dilger is in stable condition at Kadlec. She suffered broken bones and cuts. Police say the victim was walking in the area when her husband, Robert Dilger, stopped in his pickup to talk to her. Investigators say the other vehicle hit her as she was standing in the street. Police found the suspect vehicle in the 3200 block of S. Quincy Pl. It was unoccupied. They have a person of interest, but no arrests have been made. Police are still investigating.
UMATILLA, Ore. -- Tomorrow (Tuesday) the Umatilla Chemical Weapons Depot will be running a drill to practice for an emergency involving mustard gas. CSEPP will also be testing warning sirens and tone-alert radios in southern Benton County. Authorities say it's a good time to make sure people in the area are prepared for an emergency at their homes or businesses. That includes having an emergency kit and working tone alert radios.