Tri-Tech Skills Center closed for the week due to fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Tri-Tech Skills Center closed for the week due to fire

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash. -- The Tri-Tech Skills Center in Kennewick was closed Wednesday after a fire broke out in the kitchen Tuesday night and will stay closed for the remainder of the week.

The fire started in the motor of a dish-washing machine and caused some damage to the surrounding walls and sink.

A janitor was in the building when the smoke alarm went off around 9 PM. He made it out safely and the fire was put out by over-head sprinklers.

Paul Randa is the Assistant Director at Tri-Tech. He says, "Everything worked as it should have, with the sprinklers going off, that was the good news."

The Kennewick School District says Cosmetology programs at Clare's Beauty College and Victoria's Academy of Cosmetology will hold normal classes on Thursday and Friday.The Tri-Tech teen parent nursery will also remain open on Thursday and Friday. Regular classes will resume on Monday, November 1st.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/