"I cannot get used to hunger and poverty in our plentiful land. There is no reason for it. There is no excuse for it, and it is time that we put an end to it." --George "Mickey" Leland (1944-1989) First chairman of the House Select Committee on Hunger
- Every donated $1 means 6 pounds of food is provided.
- 99 cents of every donated dollar results in direct services
Who does Hunger affect?
- More than a half million Washington children and adults live below the poverty line ($17,650, family of 4)
Free/Reduced lunch program 54% Free/Reduced breakfast program 83%
Contributing factors to prevalence of hunger: Increased fuel costs Cost of living Transportation Challenges Access is limited
- Cheap food is often unhealthy. Fatty & sugary goods "empty calories" for less money.
- 27% of edible food is wasted every year in the U.S.