Wapato family loses home in Thursday morning fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Wapato family loses home in Thursday morning fire

Posted: Updated:

WAPATO, Wash. – A Thursday morning fire destroyed a family's home with damages estimated around $100,000, leaving the house a total loss.

Yakima County Fire District 5 arrived on E. Wapato Road around 3:30 a.m. and spent more than three hours getting the fire under control.

Pauline Miller owns the home and says her daughter and grandson normally live inside the house. They were staying with family Wednesday night and were not home when the house caught fire.

"I do a lot of praying and I think it has come true that god is with me and helped me. That nobody got hurt," said Pauline Miller.

One firefighter did have a back injury when the floor collapsed beneath him. One of the family dogs died in the fire.

The fire district says a hot material left inside one of the bedrooms may have started a spark.

Miller said she is working with the Yakima Nation Housing Authority as she tries to settle the damages at her home.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/