YAKIMA, Wash. -- Several classrooms at Cottonwood Elementary School were damaged from water after the sprinkler heads broke inside the building.
Firefighters with the West Valley Fire Department responded to the call around 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, to reports of smoke inside the building. A spokesperson for the fire department said the smoke was caused from water touching the electrical wiring inside the building.
Firefighters say about 6 to 8 classrooms were damaged from the water.
No word on the total cost amount in damage.
Calls to the West Valley School District offices were not returned on Friday. School was out for the rest of the holiday week.
It's not exactly clear if the weather played a factor in causing the sprinkler heads to bust. West Valley Fire Dept. will continue to investigate.