Firefighters warning about alternative heating sources - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Firefighters warning about alternative heating sources

Posted: Updated:

 KENNEWICK, Wash. --  When it gets cold, it's not uncommon to hear about fires caused by space heaters and other heating alternatives.

But fire officials are once again reminding many of you to use them correctly. The office of the Washington state marshall wants to remind people to prevent house fires with alternative heating sources like space heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves.

But, you may want to avoid using kerosene or oil heaters in your home.

"For one, when they burn, they give off carbon monoxide. They do have to expel the exhaust, and in a tight home without any ventilation, carbon monoxide can fill up a confined area fairly quickly. It doesn't take much at all to make somebody sick,"says Division Chief Mike Harris, of Benton County Fire District number 1.

According to Kennewick fire marshall Mark Hayden, there have been no fires connected to space heaters, but less than 15 chimney fires have been reported this year.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/