Tax Tip: tax helpPosted: Updated:
Tax information can be tough to understand in any language, but it can be even more difficult if it is not in your first language. The IRS offers a wide range of free and easy-to-use products and services for Spanish speaking taxpayers. Here are nine ways you can get help from the IRS if you need assistance with your federal taxes in Spanish:
1) Get answers 24 hours a day seven days a week http://www.irs.gov/espanol/ has a
2) Find out all about Free File Let Free File do the hard work for you with brand-name tax software or online fillable forms. It's exclusively at http://www.irs.gov. Everyone can find an option to prepare their tax return and e-file it for free. If you made $58,000 or less, you qualify for free tax software that is offered through a private-public partnership with manufacturers. Visit http://www.irs.gov/freefile and select En Español to review your options.
3) Find out about e-file After 21 years, IRS e-file has become the safe, easy and most common way to file a tax return. Last year, 70 percent of taxpayers -- 99 million people -- used IRS e-file. Starting in 2011, many tax preparers will be required to use e-file and will explain your filing options to you. This is your chance to give it a try. IRS e-file is approaching 1 billion returns processed safely and securely. If you owe taxes, you have payment options to file immediately and pay by the tax deadline. Best of all, combine e-file with direct deposit and you get your refund in as few as 10 days. For more information visit www.irs.gov/espanol and select Opciones Electrónicas to review your options.
4) Get up-to-date at the Multimedia Center Watch YouTube video tax tips and listen to audio podcasts on various IRS topics in Spanish and English by entering the keywords "Centro Multimediático" into the search box of the IRS website.
5) TeleTax is a toll-free, automated telephone service. TeleTax provides helpful pre-recorded tax topic messages and refund information. You can find a list more than 125 TeleTax topics, available in Spanish and English, in the instructions for Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. TeleTax can also help if at least four weeks have passed since you filed your return and you want to check on the status of your federal refund. Having a copy of your return handy will help you respond to the prompts on the automated system. TeleTax is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 800-829-4477.
6) Get tax forms and publications You can view and download several tax forms and publications in Spanish directly from http://www.irs.gov/espanol/ at any hour of the day or night.
7) Visit the IRS Spanish Newsroom Find the agency's most recent announcements, tips and information on recently implemented tax law that could affect you. Avoid missing any benefits and keep up to date by typing the keywords "Noticias en Espanol" into the search box of the IRS website.
8) Multilingual Assistance at IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers Multilingual services are offered to taxpayers in more than 150 languages, including Spanish, through bilingual employees and an Over-the-Phone Interpreter. TAC locations, hours and services are available at http://www.irs.gov/individuals/ by clicking on the link for Contact My Local Office in the left tool bar section.
9) Toll-Free Telephone Assistance is available from Spanish-speaking IRS representatives by calling the IRS customer service line at 800-829-1040 and then pressing 8.
Remember that all of the web page addresses for the official IRS website, IRS.gov, begin with http://www.irs.gov. Don' t be confused or misled by Internet sites that end in .com, .net, .org or other designations instead of .gov. The address of the official IRS governmental Web site is http://www.irs.gov/.