Accidental fire destroys Yakima mobile home - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Accidental fire destroys Yakima mobile home

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash. - Firefighters say a woman living inside a mobile home started a fire by smoking near an oxygen tank early Tuesday morning that destroyed the house. 

Crews responded to the Sun Meadows mobile home park on W. Washington Ave. just after 12:00 a.m. and could see flames and smoke before arriving on scene.

"We went to a rapid transitional attack," said Battalion Chief Mitch Cole of the Yakima Fire Department. "We started putting water on the fire from the exterior until adequate crews were able to get here and we made an interior attack."

The woman inside the house called 9-1-1 and was able to get outside before firefighters started their response. She was treated for burns on her hands at Memorial Hospital.

Two cats were killed in the fire and the home is a total loss with estimated damages at $50,000.

Firefighters want to remind the public to have a safe, designated smoking area inside homes that are away from stored oxygen.