North Central Wins Groovy Shoes and Both Basketball GamesPosted:
SPOKANE, WA - The North Central Indians had something to cheer about tonight. Not only did they win both the girls and boys basketball games, but they also stripped defending Groovy Shoe winner Shadle Park of the coveted spirit game trophy. The North Central girls won 45-42, the boys 52-46.
The girls started game night at the Spokane Arena. The North Central girls 10-6 going into tonight's game; Shadle Park 11-5. The Highlanders won the last rivalry meeting 44-35, so the Indians had revenge on their mind.
North Central lead for the majority of the first half, going into the break with 28-20 lead. Shadle Park's bright spot? Guard/forward Aleisha Hawthaway. She had 10 points in the first two quarters and was the Highlanders leading scorer. However, North Central dominated in the first half on both ends, taking advantage of their height and length by going inside often.
The start of the second half was no different. The Shadle Park girls struggled; they didn't score a bucket until there was 5:33 left in the 3rd quarter. North Central lead 32-21 at this point. But the Highlanders were able to string several good offensive possessions together, played tough defense, and tied the game up at 32 a piece with 19.5 seconds left in the third. This didn't phase North Central; they continued to roll in the fourth quarter. The Highlanders get within 3 in the last few seconds. Cheslie Chandler throws up a good looking three, but it hits the rim and out. North Central girls win 45-42.
The boys game started out differently. Shadle Park came of the gates racing, going on a 10-0 run. North Central would battle back, scoring nine unanswered point and tied the game at 12-12 in the second quarter with 5:05 until the half. The Indians took their first lead three minutes later after Gunnar Swagger scores and gets fouled on a layup. The Highlanders couldn't secure any defensive rebounds, which allowed the Indians to get back in the game on second chance opportunities. North Central goes into halftime with a 22-17 lead.
Shadle Park come running out of the half, going on an 8-2 run. They take the lead back 28-24 with 6:32 left in the third. But North Central rode the tails and scoring of senior Zac Hill. He sat on the bench for much of the first half after picking up two fouls, but lit up in the third. He gave the Indians the lead back in the fourth quarter off this play; Hill got the ball in the paint, dished the ball to Swagger who then got an easy layup to go. Indians up 40-39 with 4:39 left in the game, and they never looked back. The North Central boys beat Shadle Park 52-46.
While all this basketball was happening, the spirit games were going on in the stands. The winner of the spirit activities would get the Groovy Shoe. Both schools all dressed up in different costumes. North Central fans in red, Shadle Park in green. The Highlander girls basketball team even had green hair. The Indians put on a skit during the half time based on Toy Story. Whatever they did worked on the judges because North Central won the Groovy Shoe. So for now, the Groovy Shoe has a new home, North Central High School.
- North Central 52, Shadle Park 46
- Clark Fork at Mullan, 6 p.m.
- Gonzaga Prep 59, Lewis and Clark 53
- Central Valley 75, Rogers 68
- University 69, Mt. Spokane 60
- Ferris 81, Mead 61
- Clarkston 85, Deer Park 24
- Northwest Christian 76, Davenport 46
- Odessa-Harrington 84, St. Michael's 52
- Moscow 72, Coeur d'Alene 71
- Sandpoint 57, Lakeland 53
- Post Falls 77, Lake City 76
- Cheney 57, East Valley 46
- Lakeside (WA) 81, Freeman 74
- Lake Roosevelt 73, Brewster 50
- Valley Christian 49, Wilbur-Creston 47
- Colfax 51, St. George's 31
- Colville 53, Chewelah 38
- Riverside 49, Newport 41
- West Valley 65, Medical Lake 36
- Liberty 52, Reardan 50
- North Central 45, Shadle Park 42
- Mead 60, Ferris 49
- Mt. Spokane 56, University 52
- Lewis and Clark 58, Gonzaga Prep 52
- Central Valley 66, Rogers 19
- West Valley 61, Medical Lake 33
- Cheney 57, East Valley 56
- Clarkston 53, Deer Park 38
- Freeman 39, Lakeside (WA) 31
- Colville 69, Chewelah 28
- Newport 55, Riverside 34
- Colfax 46, St. George's 25
- Lakeside (ID) 49, Kootenai 13
- Valley Christian 34, Wilbur-Creston 25
- Clark Fork at Mullan, 6 p.m.
- Northwest Christian 48, Davenport 35
- Columbia 62, Cusick 43
- Reardan 65, Liberty 38
- Brewster at Lake Roosevelt, 6 p.m.
- Odessa-Harrington 74, St. Michael's 20
- Lakeland 58, Sandpoint 48
- Priest River 47, Kellogg 37
- Bonners Ferry 46, St. Maries 28
- Lewiston 69, Post Falls 44
- Wellpinit 42, Selkirk 40