Firefighters called to house fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Firefighters called to house fire

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash.—Kennewick firefighters were called to a house fire in the area of 12th Avenue and Columbia Center Boulevard just before 9:00am Tuesday.

The homeowner says she didn't notice anything until her smoke alarm went off.  That is when she noticed her bathroom was filled with smoke.  She called 911 and got out safely.  Her fiancé also lives at home but was at work.

Firefighters say the cause was a bathroom fan.

"As they spin as they wave out they overheat and then as the metal gets hot it extends heat to the wood which eventually catches on fire," says Deputy Chief Marvin Leonard, Kennewick Fire Department.

Firefighters say there's about $20,000 worth of damage, but the house is insured.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/