Apartment fire in Yakima ruled accident - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Apartment fire in Yakima ruled accident

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash. -- Two people were injured Sunday when a fire broke out at an apartment complex in Yakima.

Firefighters say a man was taken to the hospital with cuts to his hand after he tried breaking glass to get to a fire extinguisher. Another man was treated for smoke inhalation.

Crews responded to the fire at around 10:40 a.m. on the 300 block of E. 2nd Street. When they arrived there was visible smoke and flames coming from the second story apartment unit.

Firefighters quickly got the fire under control. They determined one of the tenants was lighting string to close to combustibles.

KNDO spoke to Jenell Ryan, who manages the apartment with her husband explaining, "The fire alarm went off, and my husband and Ricardo went to get everybody else out of the apartments and noticed the fire. I called 911 and then reported it, and they came right away."

Most of the tenants were allowed to return to their apartments. One couple is working with the American Red Cross, according to firefighters.

Damage is estimated at about $40,000.