Students evacuated from Pasco school after natural gas leak
PASCO, Wash. -- Students and teachers at Whittier Elementary School in Pasco were evacuated from the school due to a natural gas leak in the area.
An excavator busted a gas line in front of the school on Broadway Street and Wehe Avenue about 11:30. Neighbors living near by were told to close their windows, not turn on their cars and leave their homes as well.
Cascade Gas crews arrived shortly, and dug up a hole to the line to shut off the gas.
Kim Valdez, who lives in the are was nervous because her son is also a fist grader at Whittier. "All I could think of is an explosion," says Valdez.
Students were let back into the building an hour later and residents also returned home.