Cigarette in potted plants likely started Richland house fire
RICHLAND, Wash. -- A Richland man is staying with friends after his home went up in flames Saturday morning. The Richland Fire Marshall, Kurt Hubele believes the fire on 705 Catskill Street started in the backyard near some potted plants, and then spread to the attic. He says it was likely ignited by a cigarette.
The owner says he was home at the time but was able to safely get out. His cat also survived the flames. The house is insured and an investigation is underway.