BENTON COUNTY, Wash. -- Benton County fire officials say they know what started Tuesday's brush fire at Eagle Butte, that charred dozens of acres.
Fire fighters say the cause of this weeks blaze was from sparks and heat generated from a motorcycle.
The blaze burned about 100 acres of dry brush and grass Tuesday afternoon above Rancho Reata. Fire officials say they've received complaints in the past from people riding motorcycles and atv's in the brush.
One message fire fighters are trying to stress is that motorcycles and dry brush don't make for a good combination, "when you're cruising through these areas, you're sending out sparks sporadically and that's real easy in these conditions with the humidity and the temperature and the winds, it's really easy for that spark to catch this fuel on fire," explains Captain Devin Helland of Benton County Fire District 1.
Captain Helland says spark arresters are the best choice to reduce sparks coming from a bike. He adds that older and modified machines are most at risk for posing a problem.
Benton County fire fighters want to remind people any motorcycle and atv riding needs to be done on marked trails only.
There were no injuries in Tuesday's fire and no arrests have been made.