KENNEWICK, Wash. -- Kennewick fire fighters are still investigating the cause of a fire that broke out Sunday at the Waste Management transfer station.
Firefighters from Kennewick, Burbank, and Benton County spent five hours putting out the flames. The fire was contained inside a metal building at 27th Avenue and Ely Street.
Fire crews say the structure's metal exterior posed a challenge as they tried to put out the flames. "Basically, it was like fighting a fire in an oven. It's an all metal constructed building, so it just did not dissipate the heat," explains Kennewick Fire Marshall Mark Yaden.
Fire officials can't confirm what caused the fire, but they say the building did not have any faults.
They believe garbage collected from the Benton Franklin Fair and Rodeo possibly had some smoldering coals or a cigarette inside.