Fire at Selah HS forces school closure - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Fire at Selah HS forces school closure

Posted: Updated:

SELAH, Wash.-- A fire in a bathroom at Selah High School caused the school to be shut down Friday morning.

820 students at both Selah High and Selah Academy were sent home after a 16 year-old sophomore lit a toilet paper dispenser on fire.

It spread to the side of the bathroom stall.

Students told us they smelled plastic burning throughout the school.

They were sent home at 10am because of heavy smoke and a lack of ventilation.

"We take those things very seriously, student safety is really our number one priority. If kids don't feel safe, the parents don't feel safe, nobody's going to learn anything. So we take student safety very seriously," said Selah School District Superintendent Steve Chestnut.

Parents were told about the dismissal through an automated calling system and buses got the students home early.

The 16 year-old boy was expelled and Selah Police were brought in.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/