People at increased risk for carbon monoxide poisoning in winter
YAKIMA, Wash.-- People are coming up with ways to stay warm, but some of those release carbon monoxide.
Firefighters say don't try to keep your house warm with alternative sources like barbecues. Keep unused gas stove burners off. Generators should also be kept outside and away from windows. Also, be careful where you start your car; a closed garage could put you in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
"Some of the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide are dizzyness, headaches, mental confusion, redness in the face, and so, should you have any of those signs or symptoms, you wanna seek medical attention as soon as possible," says Yakima Fire Department Captain Brandon Dorenbush.
Dorenbush says 1,500 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning. Another 10,000 have to seek medical attention.