Rooftop fire put out before spreading - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Rooftop fire put out before spreading

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash.-- A house fire in Yakima Tuesday could have been a lot worse.

Investigators say a home owner was using the fireplace when debris traveled up the chimney and caught the roof on fire.

It happened on the 1400 block of Hamilton Avenue just before 1pm.

Firefighters were able to put it out before it spread to the rest of the home.

Damages are estimated at $1,000.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/