Heat tape causes dangerous house fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Heat tape causes dangerous house fire

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash.-- A house nearly burned to the ground early Wednesday morning.

Crews responded to a fire along the 600 block of South Seventh Street.

The fire started in a dog house in the back of the house and spread to a separate garage.

Crews were able to keep it from spreading to the rest of the home.

The family of seven was able to get out okay.

Firefighters say it was caused by heat tape that lit blankets on fire inside a dog house.

"What we encourage them to do is use appropriate safety devices to heat their pets doghouse. Make sure it has a sloped roof. Make sure it has insulation. Make sure they're three inches off the ground," said Capt. Brandon Dorenbush with Yakima Fire.

We spoke to the homeowners Thursday who said it was a terrifying scene with fire climbing up the walls of the house.

The damage is estimated at around $80,000, but the owners say they plan to tear it down and just start over.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/