A wood stove caused the fire that destroyed a man's home - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

A wood stove caused the fire that destroyed a man's home

Posted: Updated:
FINLEY, Wash. -

A wood stove caused the fire that destroyed a man's home. We have an update from firefighters who responded to a house fire in Finley last Sunday. It happened along East Perkins Road around 2:00 a.m.

Firefighters say a wood stove was left on and burned down the 1,700 square foot home. Benton County Capt. Devin Helland says it's a common mistake make this time of year. "Christmas tree fires, we get people firing up their heaters for the first time in a long time, we get some fires off of that. The wood stoves get very active this time of year," said Helland. 

Firefighters gave us a couple of tips to share. They say to make sure your furnace is clean and cleaned out at least once a year. Also don't forget to replace smoke detector batteries.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/