Claiming adult children on taxes - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Claiming adult children on taxes

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash.-- With tax season upon us, many parents filing their taxes may have questions about how to claim their children for their returns.

We checked the IRS website and this is what we found.

First, just giving them a roof over their head doesn't qualify you according to IRS rules. Your child had to be under 19 years old at the end of the year or 24 and a full time student. They also must have lived with you for more than half of the year.

If your child doesn't meet any of these requirements, you might be able to claim them as a qualifying relative. That's only if they earned less than the amount of the exemption you want to claim, but if they're working a part time job, they're probably ineligible.

You can find more details on the IRS website, here.