A hotel fire sends one woman to the hospital - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

A hotel fire sends one woman to the hospital

Posted: Updated:
KENNEWICK, Wash -

A motel fire sends one woman to the hospital. A motel room is damaged after a fire early Sunday morning. 

Firefighters say they were called out to a fire at the Cedars Inn and Suites on North Young Street in Kennewick just after 5:00 a.m. The flames were contained to one room on the 3rd floor. The occupant, 71-year old Connie Vanarendonk was sent to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for serious burn injuries. Fire investigators say Vanarendonk had been smoking causing the bedding to catch fire.

One hotel guest, Nannette McGrath said everybody was calm when they were evacuated from the building. "We were woken up by an exceptionally loud fire alarm. We didn't feel like our lives were threatened. We knew we needed to get up and out but it wasn't panic and no one it seemed really was in a panic," said McGrath.

More than 120 people were evacuated from the hotel and now are staying at the Hilton Inn.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/