YAKIMA, Wash.-- With the upcoming Memorial Day weekend, firefighters say to be cautious because campfires can spark wildfires.
Crews say you should never leave a campfire unattended, use only an approved pit, and keep anything flammable away. When you put it out, use water and stir everything in the pit until it's cold. Crews say the recent wet weather might trick people into believing it's safer.
"It does appear that it's safer because the weather's been moist, but really the ground is dry, the weeds are dry and all that vegetation is much drier than it looks so it wouldn't take much to ignite it," says Yakima County Fire Marshal Jakki MacLean.
If you're planning to just have an outdoor fire at home, keep it at least 25 feet from anything flammable. Fire crews also say people should clear excess debris from around their home.