KENNEWICK, Wash. - As cooler weather rolls into the Northwest, more people are turning their air conditioners off and firing up the heating systems. Getting your home heated for the first time can be dangerous, though.
Kennewick Fire Marshall Mark Yaden said they've already dealt with one house fire related to that. Someone lit their fireplace and debris around the chimney caught fire.
"A good rule of thumb is if you have a fireplace, a wood stove, have that chimney cleaned annually. At a minimum, have it inspected, depending upon how often you use it, some may need it more than once a year," Yaden said.
Yaden said the same goes for electric heat sources. Make sure you get them checked. Burning dry and clean wood in fireplaces is also helpful.
This week is Fire Prevention week and this year's theme is making sure you have two exits out of a home in the event of a fire. You should talk with your family about the routes and have a designated meeting place as well.