Soldier stationed in Yakima killed in Afghanistan - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Soldier stationed in Yakima killed in Afghanistan

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash.-- Staff Sgt. Kenneth Wade Bennett, 26, was killed in action this past Saturday while serving with the 3rd Ordnance Battalion in Afghanistan.

Known by Wade to his friends and family, Bennett was stationed at the Yakima Training Center.

Originally from Glendora, California, he joined the Army after high school in 2004. As a child always wanting to be a soldier.

"It wasn't a surprise to his family and I when he decided to join. It was something that he always wanted to do," said Rene Bennett, Wade's sister.

Already in his third deployment, Wade specialized in explosive disposal. His job? Find roadside bombs and dismantle them to keep the roads safe for his fellow soldiers.

But on Saturday, the Department of Defense says it was one of those improvised explosive devices that took his life.

"It was more of surprise that he would be the one to go because they always say, that's the person who taught us everything. He was the one that knew how to do everything right," his sister said.

"He wanted to serve his country. He always wanted to do it. And he's a specialist, he's very good at his job," said Donna Webb, Wade's cousin.

While stationed at the Yakima Training Center, Wade met a local girl. The two got married this past September and had just bought a home together, where they planned to raise their young family.

His sister says he died an honorable death, doing a job he cared about.

"He loved it. He died doing what he loved to do," she said.

Staff Sgt. Bennett leaves behind his wife Mandi, their two-year-old daughter, and another child on the way.


YAKIMA, Wash. - An Army soldier who was previously stationed at the Yakima Training Center has died from injuries he sustained in Afghanistan.

26-year-old Kenneth Wade Bennett of Glendora, California died on November 10th in Sperwan Gar, Afghanistan after encountering an explosive device during combat operations.

He was assigned to the 53rd Ordnance Company, 3rd Ordnance Battalion at Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

His sister, Rene Bennett, told us he had always wanted to join the military and he died doing what he loved.

His sister said Sgt. Bennett got married in September of 2012. He and his wife have a 2-year-old daughter and his wife is 15-weeks pregnant.