St. Paul Cathedral School students sent home - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

St. Paul Cathedral School students sent home

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash.-- Students at Saint Paul Cathedral School in Yakima were sent home for the day after electrical issues caused smoke in the gym.

Firefighters responded at around 7:45 this morning to a call about smoke in the building. Students were immediately evacuated and taken to the nearby church.

Firefighters found a light haze in the gym when they arrived. They believe the cause was electrical.

"We found some overheated motors on some of the heating units. The administration here at the school are looking into the problem to make sure it's safe for the kids," said Yakima Fire Captain Rocky Willette.

The school says the issue is related to a problem with the electricity.

One phase of their power system failed, causing outages around the building.

The school sent students home for the day.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.