Latest from Oregon State Police on Fatal Charter Bus Crash
PENDLETON, Ore. -- This is a copy of a press release from the Oregon State Police, with the latest information and names of those injured (names of the deceased are not included) in Sunday's charter bus crash near Pendleton:
During Monday afternoon's news conference held at Umatilla County Justice Center, additional information was shared regarding the ongoing investigation into Sunday morning's fatal bus crash that resulted in the death of 9 people and injuries to 39 others. A review was given of the crash incident and ongoing investigation which may take several weeks to complete.
Investigators believe 48 people, including the driver, were on board when at approximately 10:05 a.m. the bus while traveling in the left westbound lane collided with the concrete barrier along the left shoulder of the two lane highway. The bus veered across both westbound lanes and struck a metal guardrail before going about 200 feet down a steep, snow-covered embankment. The first call to 9-1-1 was received about 10:09 a.m.
As of Monday morning, ten of the 39 people reportedly transported for treatment of injuries have been released from their respective hospitals. Nine people are confirmed deceased but their names are not being released at this time while investigators work with the State Medical Examiner to confirm identities and ensure next of kin are notified.
A list of the names being released at this time is shown below. Family members are asked to check the list confirm if someone they know was traveling on the bus. Anyone confirming a name on the list as one of their family members should call the hospital listed for further contact and information. If a name is not on the list, a family representative can call (503) 375-3555. Please note this is not a general information line or media inquiry line. A calltaker will obtain the caller's information, forward it to the Oregon State Police Pendleton Area Command office and it will be assigned for contact as soon as possible.
RELEASED CONFIRMED IDENTITIES
DECEMBER 30, 2012 - FATAL BUS CRASH - INTERSTATE 84 EAST OF PENDLETON
T&R - Treated and Released
Note: City of residence noted, if known. Will update list during week as information is confirmed. Some names withheld due to pending confirmation of identity and information.
CONFIRMED DECEASED - 9 (Names Withheld Pending State Medical Examiner Post-Exams, positive identification, and confirmation of next of kin notifications) CONFIRMED TRANSPORTED FOR TREATMENT OF INJURIES - 39 CONFIRMED TREATED & RELEASED - 10
Pendleton, Oregon (St. Anthony Hospital: 541-276-5121)
* Haeng Kyu Hwang, age 54 (male -Vancouver, British Columbia) - BUS DRIVER
* Do Woo (Peter) Kim, age 16 (male)
* Hyoung Jin Yoo, age 23 (male) - T&R
* Young Hyun Yoon, age 14 (male) - T&R
* Seong Jun An, age 15 (male) - T&R
* Hyejin Kim, age 40 (female)
* Min Su Kim, age 15 (male - Korean passport) (T&R)
* Junichi Hanada, age 21 (male)
* Youn Bahn, age 66 (male)
* June Lee Seong, age 22 (female)
* Tae Woo Park, age 16 (male - Korean passport) (T&R)
* Soomin Kim, age 12 (female)
* Jimin Kim, age 7 (female)
* Yoon Kim, age 44 (male)
* Seongho Jo, age 18 (male - Korean passport)
* Eunsil Koh, age 47 (female - Cloverdale, British Columbia)
* Jong Hyun Chae, age 16 (male) T&R
* Byung Woo Yoo, age 25 (?) T&R
* 65-year old female (Name withheld pending confirmation family notified)
* Unidentified male, 20 - 25 years of age
La Grande, Oregon (Grand Ronde Hospital: 541-963-8421)
* Berlyn Sanderson, age 22 (female - Kelowna, British Columbia)( T&R)