YAKIMA, Wash. -- Classes have been canceled for all A.C. Davis High School students for Friday, January 4, 2013.
While workers were performing metal-cutting activities, the contractor identified an unusual odor within an area of the construction zone.
As a precautionary measure, all classes at Davis have been canceled for Friday, January 4.
Athletic activities scheduled for this weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will continue as they are out of town games.
Classes will resume at Davis on Monday the 7th of January unless further notified.
Yakima Fire Department issued this press release:
At 2:38 pm today Yakima Firefighters were called to Yakima-Regional Medical Center for the report of a hazardous materials exposure. Four workers at a nearby construction site had been exposed to a hazardous material earlier in the day and were experiencing symptoms which caused them to seek medical attention hours later.
Yakima Fire Department established command and coordinating with Yakima Regional's Staff worked to identify the hazardous material, determine a decontamination plan, and prevent any further contamination of their facility. Yakima Firefighters investigated the construction site which helped identify the materials and events involved.
The Washington State Department of Ecology Spill Response Team worked in an advisory capacity, on site, to mediate the situation
Cause: The workers were exposed to a refrigerant gas that vaporized as they were dismantling a refrigerant system using a cutting torch.
Damage: Injuries did not appear to require hospitalization.