YAKIMA, Wash.-- New information on the gas leak at Davis High School that led to a haz-mat situation and school being canceled Friday. The district says workers were dismantling a cooling system Thursday when they came into contact with some kind of gas.
As a precaution, hospital staff decontaminated the workers and administrators told students to leave campus.
Friday, the district superintendent says school was closed as a safeguard and parents should not be worried.
"You want to be as cautious as you possibly can, always, in making sure that everybody is safe and secure," said Dr. Elaine Beraza.
The district says several different agencies including the Health Department, EPA, and Department of Ecology believe it's not a serious issue. However, the gas is being tested as a precaution.
School should be back in session Monday.