SELAH, Wash. - A Selah man spent the day picking through the still smoldering contents of his former home.
Tim Harvey has lost almost everything he owns not once, but twice. He said his old house went up in flames around 30 years ago from a fire started by a burning cigarette.
Then on Monday afternoon, Harvey said he was driving home from work when he noticed thick smoke hanging over his neighborhood along the 1600 Block of Nagler Road in Selah.
Harvey said his brother was able to get the dog out okay, but all of his belongings are gone except for a few clothing items and some Christmas decorations.
He said it's hard to comprehend losing more than 20 years worth of possessions in just a matter of minutes.
"This morning I was kind of looking through and going oh yeah, I remember now I had that," said Harvey. "I'm not sure I want to remember that I had that. So I'm just going to kind of let it go. We'll scoop everything up and just kind of go from there."
The Selah Fire Chief said they believe the fire was started by a problem with one of the space heaters inside the house.