Kamiakin High School Evacuates After Smoke Fills Classroom - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Kamiakin High School Evacuates After Smoke Fills Classroom

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash. - Staff and students at Kamiakin High School took appropriate action Monday after smoke filled a shop classroom.

A teacher noticed smoke coming from a welding torch that was powered on, but not in use, around 2 PM. The teacher immediately closed all the fire doors in the shop classroom to prevent the smoke from spreading.

The school was evacuated for about 20 minutes while the the Kennewick Fire Department responded and contained the welding hose that they say caused the smoke.

"You know, the school drills pay off, they were organized, the teachers knew exactly where they were at and account for their people. I didn't see any issues, it shows the value of doing the fire alarm drills and the respond appropriately," said Dep. Chief Marvin Leonard with the Kennewick Fire Department.

Firefighters say there was no structural damage or injuries involved.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.