UPDATE: Colville Students Appear In Court After Bringing Gun And - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Colville Students Appear In Court After Bringing Gun And Knife To School

Posted: Updated:

COLVILLE, Wash. - Two elementary school students in Colville are being held in a Juvenile Detention center on $100,000 bond after bringing deadly weapons to school with the intention to hurt at least eight of their fellow students.

This all happened at the Fort Colville Elementary School on Thursday.

A student saw a weapon in another student's backpack, panicked, and told a school official.

The student who had the weapon, as well as another student, his best friend. were taken into custody.

It was at that point they confessed that they had planned to target at least eight classmates with guns, ammunition and a knife in their possession.

Two fifth graders, 11 and 10-years-old appeared in juvenile court in shackles on Friday, facing charges of Conspiracy to Commit Murder.

Prosecutors say the two students had been plotting for two weeks. The pair also told a third friend about their plans. Prosecutors say the two students planned to pay that student $80 to keep the plot quiet.

Prosecutors believe the pair planned to carry out the plan on Thursday.

Before 8am, as the bus was heading to school, a 4th grader spotted a knife in a student's backpack. Before class started he told a school monitor who then approached the student about the blade and searched his backpack.

Not only did the school monitor find the knife, he found a stolen gun and ammunition. The gun was not loaded.

Parents of the potential targets were notified right away but the School District didn't notify everyone else until about 4 hours later.

Many parents criticized the district for that, but school leaders contend they handled everything the best way they knew how.

Everyone is grateful tragedy was averted, thanks to the bravery of a 4th grader who saw something and said something, sparing the lives of his classmates.

The Superintendent says two of the fifth graders were expelled for 12 months.

That third student, who was told about the plot, was expelled for 45 days.

Motive for the plot still remains unclear. 

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

UPDATE: Both students appeared in juvenile court on Friday. They are 10 and 11 years old. The judge ordered them detained in a juvenile facility on 100,000 dollars bond.

If released they are to have no contact with Fort Colville Elementary or 8 other juveniles listed in the court documents.

School officials tell us that every parent in the district has been notified by phone, text or email. Every student at the school was informed of what happened by school staff.

The school superintendent is stressing the actions of the student that reported the weapons and hopes others will follow his example and report dangerous behavior before it is to late.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

FROM COLVILLE SCHOOL DISTRICT 115: Before the start of school on Thursday a student at Fort Colville Elementary School reported that another student had brought a knife to school. Upon searching a student backpack, school staff discovered both a handgun and knife.

Police were notified and the weapons were confiscated. After questioning by police with parents present, two students were removed from school and taken into police custody.

Both students will be expelled from school. No students were injured. A police investigation is ongoing. We highly commend the student for reporting the incident and following the character count curriculum to help all students.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Thank you to all who gave to victims of Carlton Complex Fire!

    Thank you to all who gave to victims of Carlton Complex Fire!

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:26 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:26:11 GMT
    KHQ.COM - We were completely overwhelmed at how this community came together yesterday for the Q6 Cares, Inland NW Shares drive yesterday to support the victims of the Carlton Complex Fire who lost their homes. All day Monday from 5am - 6:30pm we were inundated by a constant flow of people wanting to make a difference.More >>
    KHQ.COM - We were completely overwhelmed at how this community came together yesterday for the Q6 Cares, Inland NW Shares drive yesterday to support the victims of the Carlton Complex Fire who lost their homes. All day Monday from 5am - 6:30pm we were inundated by a constant flow of people wanting to make a difference.
    More >>
  • Prevent house fires with defensible space!

    Prevent house fires with defensible space!

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:14 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:14:44 GMT
    KHQ.COM - In these extremely challenging weather conditions, State Fire Marshal Chuck Duffy is urging residents to inspect and maintain the defensible space around their homes. Defensible space can dramatically increase your home’s chances of surviving a disastrous wildfire, and can be accomplished through careful planning and vegetation management.More >>
    KHQ.COM - In these extremely challenging weather conditions, State Fire Marshal Chuck Duffy is urging residents to inspect and maintain the defensible space around their homes. Defensible space can dramatically increase your home’s chances of surviving a disastrous wildfire, and can be accomplished through careful planning and vegetation management.More >>
  • Air France, Lufthansa suspend flights to Tel Aviv

    Air France, Lufthansa suspend flights to Tel Aviv

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:08 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:08:20 GMT
    BERLIN (AP) - Germany and France's largest airlines Lufthansa and Air France say they're suspending all flights to Tel Aviv over safety concerns amid the increasing violence. Lufthansa said Tuesday evening that it was suspending all Tel Aviv flights for 36 hours, including those operated by subsidiaries Germanwings, Austrian Airlines and Swiss.More >>
    BERLIN (AP) - Germany and France's largest airlines Lufthansa and Air France say they're suspending all flights to Tel Aviv over safety concerns amid the increasing violence. Lufthansa said Tuesday evening that it was suspending all Tel Aviv flights for 36 hours, including those operated by subsidiaries Germanwings, Austrian Airlines and Swiss.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.